Friday, September 1, 2017

Back in the Ring

After a 3 year hiatus, tonight I re-enter the classroom to teach a college level math course. While my full time job as a Faculty Development Consultant has given me many opportunities to reflect and grow personally, I find myself filled with excitement and anticipation over the first day (or night in this case) of class. Ironically, the prep leading up to this first night of class has been invigorating and passion driven - feelings I have deeply missed.

Of course I'm going to flip my math course - why wouldn't I? The success I had with this approach in middle school should surely translate to success at the college level. I've been a proponent of flipped learning in higher education from the day I stepped foot on the Green Bay Campus of Northeast Wisconsin Technical College. The advantages of a flipped classroom far outweigh the drawbacks in my opinion and I'm excited to help 'adult' students see and explore a different approach to learning.

While I've prepared myself for the typical 'why can't you just teach us?' question, I know that my passion and belief in each and every student is what will help them be successful. The flipped classroom will give me more time to get to know each student, their passions, dreams, and aspirations for our semester long class. I'd rather spend the one hour, twenty minutes I have with them twice per week be spent solving problems collaboratively and learning how to approach math as opportunity to critically think, solve, and evaluate together! 


I know that through careful preparation and planning of active learning activities, students will be able to contextualize math into the programs and fields of their choice. While the exact math they learn in class may not always be applicable to their occupations, the ability to see math as a chance to work through difficulties, collaborate, and persevere is a goal I hope to inspire into all.

I look forward to sharing this journey with you each and every week as I will reflect on what did and didn't work. Check back each week for updates, tips, strategies, and even questions as I look to grow through this process. After all, we cannot grow and learn if we do not reflect! #BeTheONE

No comments:

Post a Comment