Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Off and Running...

While the beginning of the school year requires routine, class policies, and school rules, the start of this school year has been nothing short of crazy and hectic. Between adopting and implementing a new school BYOT policy, transitioning students to a Flipped Math Class, and Technology Rep. duties, I have found myself eager to fine tune the learning environment for students in my math class.  After a great year of math with a new textbook and Common Core State Standards under my belt, I have hit the ground running and will continually look back to reflect.

I continue to be amazed at how responsive the students have been to a dramatically different learning environment. Being able to talk and discuss math, listen to music to focus, and write on desk tops have provided a unique learning environment for students that they too often don't get. One might say my classroom resembles more of a college commons or Internet Cafe shoppe.  Maybe it matches my personality as a teacher and human being, but I want my students to have fun while learning.

Don't get me wrong, the objectives for learning are very clear for students.  I monitor their progress every other day through mini-assessments and differentiate their learning based on their results.  But I have sensed more ownership from students in their own learning by giving them the freedom to learn in an environment that is comfortable to them.  Giving students options as had a tremendous affect on the quality of work being done.

For example, in the first week of school alone I received four emails regarding questions on practice problems and three photo submissions of practice problems.  Students are using the technology available to them and thriving while using it.  While there are still those "old-fashioned" learners showing they are learning, many students are using the desks to write on and show their work.  I have never seen more math work being done in a given period than I do now.

As I continue to try and shift from Letter Grades to Learning Objectives, I am slowly beginning to see the power of student ownership. True learning begins when the student takes ownership in his or her learning environment and wants to be successful because they want to learn. While I know I have a long way to go, I am grateful for the progress students have made and their willingness to work hard and try a technique that might not be so popular!

"Mistakes are proof that you are trying!"

No comments:

Post a Comment