Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Saying Goodbye

As the Holiday Season is upon us, our school district must unfortunately say good bye to a young teenager that unexpectedly passed away.  While saying good bye is never easy, it becomes especially difficult for any teen to process how their friend is no longer with us.  As a teacher, I cannot imagine the pain and suffering the family and friends are going through. While I can't even come close to having the right words, I know that my role is to be there for them or as simple as an ear to talk to or a shoulder to cry on. Normalcy - whatever that may be - will be tried to be conducted in every class. Undoubtedly, some classes will be easier than others, yet some a struggle to not see that bright smile and hear that laughter.  And as I reflect on my time with this student, their amazing character and joy for others will be truly missed.  As I struggled with words for this time, I decided to write a poem that I only hope can help others in this time of struggle.

Saying goodbye
Can bring such sorrow.
We can only hope
It will get better tomorrow.


Why the Good Lord took her
We will never know.
It's perfectly okay
To let your emotions show.


An amazing student
And even better friend.
It is so sad
Her story had to end.


As we sit here
To say our good byes.
Hug the ones that love you
Before the time flies.


For she is home now
And as a bell rings.
God has given his angel
Her first pair of wings.



Perhaps we should not say Good-Bye.....rather, "Until We Meet Again!"

No comments:

Post a Comment