Thursday, January 3, 2013

Presenting To Administration

After a wonderful, long, relaxing Winter Break, I returned to school today geared and excited to begin the Flipped Classroom process with my 8th Grade Math students. I am fully committed to making my Flipped Classroom an experience that my students will not only enjoy, but also become better math students with. Likewise, I know the ground work that must be done in order for my lofty ambitions and goals to come to fruition. I have three days to help model to my students the expectations of a Flipped Classroom, how we watch video lessons and take notes, how we work in Cooperative Learning Groups to discuss math problems and questions, and how students can push themselves to limits they never knew they had in a math class.

I cannot begin to type how excited I am about the experience in my classroom, at my school, and in my community. I truly hope that my students will appreciate the hard work it has taken to get the material ready, video lessons recorded, and assessments carefully planned. I hope that my colleagues see that this approach to teaching, as radical as it may seem, is only to benefit student learning objectives and changes in Common Core State Standards.  As education continues to make changes, we must make changes as educators as well.

Which leads me to presenting to my administration team. I have the privilege of being invited to speak with our district's Instructional Leadership Team to discuss a Flipped Classroom, and my hopes for what it can provide the district in the future. Imagine the PR possibilities this can attract. I also look forward to sharing how this approach, in conjunction with Team Teaching, can benefit all students taking Math in our district. I am encouraged by their support and eagerness to learn about the Flipped Classroom.  As a cousin once stated, " Incredible change happens in your life when you decide to take control of what you do have power over instead of craving control over what you don't!" Very prophetic in education today as we look to improve our schools and our teaching methods.  

No comments:

Post a Comment