Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Hook, Line, and . . . Learners???

* Week 4 Reflections of my 8th Grade Flipped Math Classroom (January 28 - February 1, 2013)

Now that my students have completed their first chapter under the newly remodeled flipped classroom, I knew it was time to ramp up the expectations. I was quite pleased with the chapter assessment results and the collaboration that occurred, but I knew my students were capable of MORE! I knew I needed to push the envelope a little bit further than they thought they could go.

As I created the new videos for our next chapter, I began to implement a HOOK question at the beginning of every video lesson. This HOOK is being used as a means to establish a connection between the content in the video and an application in the "real-world". My hope was that the HOOK would be the connecting piece for students.

After students watch a video lesson, they participate in TWIRL groups to discuss the video, any questions they had, and collaborate on the few practice problems they were asked to try. This usually took about 5 minutes, and sometimes was less productive. Thus, I implemented the CHALLENGE QUESTION - a collaborative question directly linked to the HOOK at the beginning of the video.

Each TWIRL group needed to work collaboratively to devise a plan to solve the problem. They would use each other as resources, draw a diagram when necessary, and write up a solution that makes sense to the whole group. BUT, here's the catch that really seems to be activating the LEARNING.

After about 7 - 10 minutes of collaboration on the CHALLENGE, I RANDOMLY call on 1 student from the entire class to discuss their groups findings on the challenge. This student must clearly convey what their group decided as a solution and why their solution makes sense. This step alone has increased the accountability of each member to a TWIRL group and the responsibility of all group members to work together. After all, you don't want to be the one in front of the class with no clue as to what is going on.

 Next, the floor is open to anyone from a different group to refute the solution or the process and provide evidence for an alternative solution. This component has provided students an opportunity to make and hear constructive criticism from their peers. While this step in the CHALLENGE has been slowly evolving, I find that students are very quick to correct each other, but not with valid reasons. Students are slowly learning how to critique each other with respect, as well as accept that critique as a tool for learning.

As I continue to modify my Flipped Classroom, I am encouraged with how far students are willing to go to learn. Too often we "think" they will cut the corner or only go so far. However, I must say that if we as teachers raise the bar, students will continue to reach for that bar and try to exceed it. If that can happen, all the while teaching students how to learn collaboratively, who could ask for anything more?

No comments:

Post a Comment