Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Team Flip Teaching ???

* Weekly Reflections of a Flipped Math Class (Week of February 11 - February 15, 2013)

That time of year has come again were planning and scheduling for next school year is upon us. In the grand state of Wisconsin (like many other states), that means doing MORE with LESS. Yet as I continue the flipped class journey, I am encouraged with the direction that my class experience is headed. As many educators do, I continue to reflect on my best practices and find ways to make them even better for ALL students in my school.

My flipped classroom adventure began upon returning from SLATE 2012 (School Leaders and Technology Education). I came back motivated and eager to find a better way to differentiate for my students and help them grow as learners of mathematics. Upon researching many teachers already flipping and "borrowing" their resources, I started out on my adventure and found great reward in how receptive and responsive the students were to this model of instruction.

Yet, I know there is a small piece missing. While I am able to meet with most students on a daily basis and gauge their understanding of the lesson, I don't feel I get to work with struggling learners enough to build their base knowledge of a concept and help them become successful. My class is set up so that every lesson is covered in 2 days...one day for learning and group collaboration, one day for assessment and enrichment, extension, or re-teaching.

The first day has been great at getting students to communicate and collaborate about a given lesson. Students have worked well together and taken advantage of other learners. The second day needs some work. While some students show mastery of a particular lesson, others show minimal understanding. My goal is to work with that group of students to enhance their understanding through guided instruction. However, have 2 or 3 autonomous groups has been a struggle at best.

Meanwhile, my Middle School Math colleague and I have begun discussing plans for next school and how we would love to team teach all 7th and 8th graders in mathematics. Can you imagine the possibilities? Two teachers in one room with 30 - 40 students, all in small groups working at THEIR level of understanding.

The ability for us as teachers to work with smaller groups of students that haven't yet mastered a skill is critical to moving forward. In having two teachers in one room, we create only one autonomous group that would be independent learners. We are able to meet with struggling learners on a daily basis and use guided instruction to help them become master learners. At the same time, we are able to push the master learners into enrichment activities that show how a skill is used and applied.

While this approach to teaching is not new, doing so in a flipped classroom is uncommon. The time a teacher is available to a student is vitally important to their continued success in a class. Team teaching and a flipped classroom only create more time for teachers to be available. Add in all of the collaboration and guided learning, students are bound to be successful...aren't they???

No comments:

Post a Comment